Saturday 30 July 2011

Platypus, kangaroos and emus, oh my!

Another week in Australia and another adventure into the bush. This weekend I headed off to Namadgi National Park, conveniantly located about 20 minutes out of Canberra. The original plan was to do some hiking, but that got sidetracked when I saw their programs and was convinced I must go on a koala excursion at Tidbinbilla Animal Reserve.

The geography around Canberra is almost second to none (I still like the Rockies the best). The hills and mountains are very picturesque, even when you're driving on the freeways around the city. Tidbinbilla is especially gorgeous, especially the tors (rock outcroppings) that dot the hills and 'mountains'.  They are homes for wallabies, kangaroos, emus, potaroos and various indigenous animals.

My koala excursion was really just a information session about koalas and I did get to see a very sleepy koala named Mo.  He's in the process of being aclimated to the enclosure at Tidbinbilla. The koala enclosure was actually destroyed in a fire 8 years ago which killed 21 of the 22 wild koalas that were there.  They are still in the process of repopulating and only have 4 in the wild and Mo who is a very picky eater and can't be put with the other koalas just yet.  He was very cute and, like all koalas, high on eucalyptus.

After visiting the enclosure and looking at the gum trees (no koalas in sight), I made my way over the the ponds and went on a platypus hunt.  I actually found a couple. They're the ripples in the water in the photos, I swear. I think I'll head back next week and get the full info session from a ranger and maybe see one a little closer. They are definitely bizarre looking creatures.

I started to make my way home and on the way, just at the park gate, I found a mama kangaroo with a joey in her pouch.  So cool! Along with the platypus, this made my Australian experience thus far. If you look really close at the one phot, you can actually see the joey hanging out of the mama's pouch and eating grass.













Today I'm just preparing myself for another week in school. Everyday last week got better and better and here's hoping that continues through the term.  I've got a great group of kids who work hard, or at least pretend to work hard for the picture.  I'm starting to get the hang of this Year 1 thing and hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to put my own spin on it.

2 comments:

  1. Ally, are you sure that's your classroom? I can actually see what color the walls are! I am use to seeing every inch of your walls, ceiling and floor covered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your updates, Allyson! Too bad you have to cheer for losing teams but think carefully about switching over to the Flames! Your classroom looks bright and cheery and it sounds like you are adjusting to those little munchkins just fine. I'd love to hear more about the school - it looks new.

    When I was getting ready to go for lunch at the Village with your Mom, Marlene and Audrey today(we sat down at 11:30 and left at 4!) I realized that you really didn't get summer vacation this year so it's good to see you playing tourist now. Keep these great posts coming!

    P. S, And the saskatoons were magnificent this year. We shared saskatoon cheesecake, as well as a turtle cheesecake, for dessert today.

    ReplyDelete