Tuesday 26 July 2011

One Week as an Australian




I'm officially a Canberrian (or whatever we call ourselves)! I actually gave directions to the Museum of Australia.  Granted, it was to someone from London and I had just come from that direction... but still, a pretty proud moment.

The last couple of weeks have been both hectic and mundane. Last Sunday, I went to my first NRL (National Rugby League) game.  It was the hometown Raiders vs. the Melbourne Storm.  Though we had front row seats, and Chris cheered and jeered as loud as he could, the hometeam lost 26-0. Not a great introduction to my new home team.  It seems that it is my lot in life to cheer for the losing teams. The Oilers, the Melbourne Demons (AFL) and the Canberra Raiders (NRL).  Maybe I should start cheering for the Flames, then they'll really start losing.
Chris in his Sunday best

I was then invited to Chris' parents for dinner with his family and Nat's family. It seems that I am going to have two families while I am here in Canberra.  Both Chris and Nat's families have been so welcoming and so helpful as I try to find my way around.

On Monday, I said farewell to Nat.  I got to go out to her mom's acreage and meet the boys (2 steers), some sheep and a herd (?) of kangaroos out the back. Though kangaroos are considered a nuisance that eats crops, I still find it amazing to see them everywhere I go, though I have seen more dead ones on the side of the road than live ones.

Saying bye to Nat was a different experience. I didn't expect to become so close to her in the couple of weeks that I've been here. I actually feel that we have become close friends. We were both saying that it was great that we were exchanging with someone that we actually like.  I've found myself in the last few days wishing that I could tell her about some of the stuff that I have done as I had gotten so used to doing that at the end of the day. Nat's currently having a great time in Southern California and is slowly making her way towards Innisfail.  I keep telling her I wish I could be a fly on the wall when the snow starts to fly and the temperatures drop. I'm sure she's feeling the same way when the mercury starts jetting out of the thermometer around Christmas time here.

The Giant Merino in Goulbourn. I guess Alberta
isn't the only place with giant statues.
After spending a couple a days making the townhouse my own I did a little road trip out towards Sydney. I spent some time in the historical towns of Mittagong, Berrima and Bowral. I also took the time to check out the lookouts at Bungonia National Park and the beautiful gorge there. I'll definitely be going back on a sunny weekend to do some of the hikes. While on the road, I had my first, second, third.... eighth sighting of a wombat.  Unfortunately it was in the form of road kill. Apparently if you hit them, it does some massive damage to your vehicle, so I was on the lookout for the live ones too.

I spent Thursday and Friday preparing myself for school and met a local resident. Unfortunately it was 8-legged and large.  I was told it was a small Huntsman Spider and that they are harmless.  It sure as hell didn't look harmless and scared the crap out of me as I was taking down a bulletin board. So can't wait to meet more of them.

Saturday I met Nat's mom and we went to a local market. It was just like our farmer's markets and I got myself some homemade rhubarb and apple pie. So, so, so good. I spent more time with Nat's mom the next day as we headed out to Cooma.  This is where Nat's family is from and we visited Nat's aunt, nanna and uncle. We also picked up a bull calf for Shirley (Nat's mom) to take home. It was a pretty rainy and miserable day, therefore, there was lots of snow on the Snowy Mountains. Cooma is kinda the Hinton of Australia and is the gateway to the ski resorts of the snowy mountains. The highways were busy with ski hill traffic as we made our way home that night.

Stay tuned for my first couple of days of teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I would have freaked seeing that spider! Glad to hear that you are settling in, miss you already! Keep blogging, I love the stories!

    ReplyDelete