Tuesday 12 July 2011

Living in Australia

Not much happening at the moment. I've spent the last week settling in and getting myself somewhat organized.  I went to the school last Friday and participated in their Walk-a-thon.  It was a 5km walk through Waramanga in 1 degree weather.  I was wishing I had remembered to bring my mittens. I spent the day at the school and got the opportunity to sit down with Maria, my grade partner, and get a feel for what Grade 1 is like in Australia. We met again yesterday to plan out the first week together.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it, but have some stuff to go over next week, but I think this is going to be a jump-in-head-first and tread water type of situation.  I'm sure everything will be fine by week 3. I also got to meet some of the parents and they are very excited to have a Canadian teaching their kids. They even welcomed me with a bouquet of lilies (my favorite), so their already in my good books.

Nat had a going away party on Saturday so I was invited as the Canadian taking her place.  Everyone was so welcoming and kept asking about the weather. Most were horrified when I told them the weather here right now is like our late fall weather.

Yesterday was a big shopping day.  I had to buy some more warm casual wear as I was wearing the same two or three things every day. The biggest purchase yesterday was my car. I bought a 2000 Nissan Pulsar. It's in excellent condition and makes me feel a little more independent.  Thank God for GPS though.

The next few day will be getting the car registered and insured and then maybe I'll make a trip to Sydney or something.  Still not sure.  I may also check out the area around Canberra. There are supposed to be a couple of lakes nearby with good biking trails.

I'm going to try and post some pictures of what my Aussie house looks like but the internet is working very slow. It's very similar to my own house, so it hasn't been too hard getting accustomed to it.  It's been beneficial to have an electric blanket though as there is no central heating and the heater is downstairs.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds just great Allyson! I loved looking at your photos. It also sounds all different and same, all at once. Australia is on our family travel list! We will have to chat with you when we finally get to go. Have fun and enjoy! I look forward to more posts. Blogs specifically about travel are definitely my fav. :) Kim B.

    ReplyDelete