Sunday 18 March 2012

This is Australia!

We arrived home from our time in Victoria just in time for Australia Day in the nation's capital. Mom, Dad and I were on the road early to see the raising of the flag at Regatta Point and the swearing in of the newest Australian citizens. We arrived just as Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Governor General Quentin Bryce arrived.  After a review of the troops and a gun salute, the flag was raised upon the flagpole that Canada gave to Australia to commemorate the 200th year of Australia's founding. The pole is a Douglas Fir trunk painted white (and the actually put the Canadian flag up on Canada Day. I can't wait).

Next the newest Australian citizens were sworn in by the PM. There were even some Canadians. I didn't know whether to be jealous of them or disappointed in them. This is also when I got my first glance at the Australian of the Year, Mr. Geoffrey Rush a.k.a. Captain Barbossa, Oscar Winner.

After the ceremonies, we followed the crowd to the barrier around a 'private' tea party for the new Australians, the PM and Geoffrey Rush. Here I stood on one side of the fence, but only a few feet away from Geoffrey Rush. That is my celebrity experience of the year. I think he saw me.



Governor General Quentin Brice

Australian of the Year Geoffrey Rush

Guillard and her hat




After watching the important people eat, Mom, Dad and I headed off to the War Memorial for our second visit of Mom and Dad's visit. Before going in, we had an Australia Day picnic of Anzac cookies and Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Finally we were up the steps of the Memorial and checking out the museum once again. After another 4 hours, I think we actually saw the whole thing. We stayed right until closing and saw the Bag Piper's Lament that shuts down the Memorial at the end of each day. It was a pretty profound experience.

We headed back home to get into some warmer clothes, picked up my friend Miriam and we were once again off to Lake Burley Griffen, this time to watch some fireworks. Ironically, I've never been to Canada Day fireworks.

The fireworks were almost as spectacular as the New Year's Day fireworks in Sydney.  Definitely not in such an iconic place, but still fantastic in their own right.  This time we had music blaring behind us that the fireworks burst in time to, and there were just a few less people to impede our view of the fireworks. They went up and down the lake and off the bridges at both ends of the lake.


The entire day was a fantastic way to celebrate the founding of my second favorite country. It was also a great way to celebrate the last couple days of summer. It was back to school on the Monday and only a few days away from Mom and Dad's last day in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment